Friday, June 11, 2010

Slice of the World Theory


Earth, it's a hard concept to imagine how many people live here right? I often find myself imagining if my school, family, state, even country is different than somewhere else. Another hard concept for me to wrap my head around is that, there is more out there. A lot. There is tons and tons of more people out there, and tons of places I haven't seen. The reason I bring this is up, is because the other day I conjured up the The Theory of Slices of the world. What I wonder is if the rest of the world is like the one I live in, if the people act the same, or if they have some common dilemma.
I developed this theory the other week on the way home form the street rods with my dad. We were on our way home, I believe it was maybe ten o'clock, and we decided to stop for ice cream. When we pulled in in my dads General Lee, some of the firemen from the station next door, started going ballistic and cheering. And while we were ordering and waiting for our sundaes' a little boy wearing a Ravens jersey, commented on my fathers Steelers' get-up. "Why are you wearing stupid Steelers," he asked my dad. His Father, also wearing Ravens' memorabilia laughed, started a casual conversation with my dad. While standing there, I had a revolutionary thought. First, I thought eww I'm talking to a Ravens' fan. Second, I thought wow. It's amazing how to people with opposing beliefs can have a mutual chat, about their teams. Looking back now I don;t know why this came as a shock to me then, but at the time it appalled me that two people, rivals even, can come together and be friends. If only the rest of the world worked like that.
Now, I realize I'll probably never see that family again. And I wonder, also, if that family remembers me in the back of their minds sometime, like I do. So, my whole theory is that the world is at peace. Most of it. There is good in the world but we, ourselves create it. Imagine the world if we all lived like this. And, it's wonderful to imagine isn't it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment